Sea Scouts - Santa Cruz, CA
The Steeves is a living testimonial to the success of the Sea Scout program, and demonstrates what can be done with the cooperation and hard work of the Volunteers, Scouts, and Sponsors like the Santa Cruz Host Lions Club
As we rebuild our program after the retirement of our Skipper Jim Bosso, who skippered us for fifty (50) years, we are in need of volunteers and funding. As you may know, a ship is in continuous need of upkeep and repair. We are looking for men and women who can help us in the Scouting Program, Ships Maintenance/Repair and Fundraising/Marketing committees.
Our budget of 65,000.00 a year supports all ships operations, day cruises, weekend overnights, and our long Summer Cruise. In addition, we sponsor scouts in need so they can be a part of our program. All training and scheduled activities, and most important repairs, haul outs and maintenance. Help Keep Us Afloat! DONATE NOW TO S.E.Y.A. INC.
Sea Explorer Youth Activities Inc. (S.E.Y.A.) is a private non-profit 501(c)3 organization based in Santa Cruz California who own and sponsor the SSS Steeves, Sea Scout Ship #669. We accept tax deductible donations in many forms. Your tax deductible donation will be gladly accepted. All of your donations will go to the support of youth in our local community.
Protecting Our Oceans
We’re training our youth to sail and protect our Oceans! Sea Explorer Youth Activities Inc. A California Non-Profit Corporation. Federal ID #91-2124335.
137 Spring St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Skipper Kevin Melrose
About The Steeves
The Sea Scout Ship 669 “Steeves” was built in 1962. The Steeves is a 63 food Welded Steel Hull Diesel Yacht-Motor Trawler.
The Steeves has a Vee hull, raked bow, hard chine, and a round stern. The hull is made of one-quarter inch (1/4”) steel below the water line and three-sixteenths (3/16”) above the waterline. The support structure consists of 3/8” x 2” x 8” T-bar vertical frames on four foot (4’) centers.
There are five watertight compartments below the main deck.
The Steeves is powered by two (2) Cummings diesel NT-855 engines with 325 horsepower each. She was repowered in 2015 in Moss Landing.
The Steeves can achieve a top speed of 11 knots at 1650 RPM. The Steeves consumes eight (8.0) gallons of diesel fuel per hour when cruising at nine and one half (9.5) knots at 1450 RPM. The transmissions are 3: 1 reduction and cooling is by heat exchangers.
The fuel capacity is 3200 gallons of diesel fuel in four (4) tanks She has twin five (5) blade bronze 40 x 29 RH and LH propellers with 3” stainless steel shafts.
The electrical system consists of eight (8) marine batteries, for port and starboard of 32 volts and converts to 12 volts and 32 volts 4-12 volt battery; 32 amp alternator and auxiliary 12.5-kilowatt generator for 110 volts. The Steeves has 240 volts and 110-volt capacity.
The wheelhouse has a 48-mile radar system, a depth sounder, forward sonar, three (3) compasses, and two(2) GPS.
There are three (3) heads on the main deck. The starboard head has a stand-up shower. There is on outside shower to port by the stack.
There are two berthing stations below deck. The after quarters sleep six (6) and the forward quarters sleep four (4). With four staterooms sleeping six (6) makes for a total berthing of sixteen (16).
The water capacity is 1200 gallons in two water tanks.
The railing is Burmese teak. The deck is 1” thick Queensland beech planks, secret screwed with rubber caulking.
The Salon is paneled with polished Queensland Maple paneling. The galley and main salon are surrounded by windows.
The Galley includes a built-in refrigerator and electric oven, microwave oven, and a buffet bar over an 18 cubic foot freezer.
The Salon includes a flat screen TV-DVD, a ship’s clock and salon table that seats twelve (12) at each seating.
In 1962 this ship’s original name was Tahuna. The original owner, Mr. Hillary Willkens, had Tahuna built in South Wales, Australia. The U.S. Government took possession of the boat in 1977 from a subsequent owner in a DEA forfeiture. The U.S. Navy had possession of the ship from 1977 to 1985. In 1985 the General Services Administration offered the boat to the Sea Scouts. It was initially given to the Piedmont Council and renamed “Revenge”.
In 1998 the Piedmont Group wanted to have the ship moved from the Naval Supply Center in Piedmont, California. Robert L. French, Commodore Area III, Stockton offered the ship to the Santa Cruz Group. On March 2, 1998, while the Santa Cruz Group’s previous boat, Gavalan, was in dry-dock, the paperwork was prepared to transfer the ship to the Monterey Bay Council.
Meanwhile, John Laingor, Charlie Stoores, and the crew from the Santa Cruz Sea Scouts took the ship to Keefe, Kaplan Maritime Inc. (KKMI) in Point Richmond for a haul out. Mr. Lorne Gould performed a survey of items needing repair. Many parts were in storage, including settees, table, rail, etc.
On May 24, 1998, twelve people from the Santa Cruz Host Lions Club joined the Sea Scout crew for the trip to Santa Cruz. Departing at 0700 the Steeves passed under the Golden Gate Bridge at 0815 and arrived in Santa Cruz at 1600.
The Steeves was greeted by a welcoming committee of Santa Cruz Host Lions Club off Santa Cruz Point. The welcoming committee escorted the ship to its berth in the Santa Cruz Harbor.
As the Steeves motored into the harbor for the first time, the Harbor Patrol commented on the radio, “Wow, that must be the Scout boat. Make sure they can get it under the bridge!” At the lowest tide of the day, the Steeves slowly approached the bridge with only one and one half (1 ½) feet to spare. The Skipper blew the horn and shouted, “We made it!” The Steeves is berthed on V dock on the south side of the Upper Santa Cruz Harbor. The Skipper, adult leaders and Scouts have been working hard since 1998 to restore the Steeves.
Get in Touch
Make a Donation
We are grateful for your donations! This link will take you to our donation page.